COVID-19 restrictions update
Throughout the pandemic we have strived to make the surgery as safe as possible for all our patients and staff. We will continue to do so going forward.
With the announcement from the Government that from 19th July they are likely to be lifting the majority of Covid restrictions, we have reviewed our procedures for the Practice.
For the safety of all patients and staff alike, we respectfully ask that you wear a face covering when attending the surgery even after the 19th of July.
We also encourage patients not to come to the surgery to book appointments. Please call 01798 342 248 instead.
We will shortly re-open our waiting room with reduced capacity, keeping patient’s safety in mind.
For the time being our Dispensary will continue to function utilising the temporary dispensary hatch (window) that is accessible from outside of the building. (Right next to our main entrance).
As you know the Surgery is and has been open throughout the pandemic. Our GPs had been seeing patients face to face and it will remain that way. – However because of Coronavirus the way patients are seen in primary care has predominantly changed.
- If you need to speak to a doctor for any reason, please call between 08:30 and 11:00 on 01798 342 248 and our Patient Services Team members will assist you with signposting you to the most appropriate service, whether that is to speak to a Doctor, attend a pharmacy, minor injuries unit, etc. Please note, our Patient Services Team members have been trained to signpost and they will ask you questions in order to determine the best option for your care.You will be booked a telephone / video triage with a GP, as availability allows. If there are no routine appointments left for the morning you will be asked to call back after 14:00 or the next morning.
- Our doctors are only able to offer same day appointments at this time (With a few exceptions – please see Paragraph 5 further down). Once triaged the GP may offer a face to face appointment.
- If you call later than 11am, unless your call is urgent, you will be asked to call back after 14:00 or the next morning between 08:30 -11:00.
- Some clinical procedures that require a GP e.g. steroid injections or micro-suctioning will be pre-bookable.
- Appointments with our nurses, HCAs and phlebotomist remain pre-bookable.
- Extended Hours nurse appointments, phlebotomy appointments, Asthma, COPD reviews and Initial Physiotherapy appointments are bookable online, using your SystmOne Online account or the Airmid App.
Although the restrictions may be lifted nationally we will closely monitor the local COVID-19 infection rates and we may change our protocols and guidelines accordingly. This may affect your visit to the surgery.
All the above is to help protect both our patients and our staff and we kindly ask that you respectfully follow these requests.
Thank you for your continued understanding and support.
We provide a Same Day Service for acute medical problems and for patients who feel that they may need to be seen or supported that day.
The Same Day Service is provided by a team of experienced GP’s and Duty Doctors supported by Nurses and Healthcare Assistant.
The Same Day Service runs between 08:30 and 11:00 and again 15:30 until 18:00, Monday to Friday. You can utilise this service by calling us on 01798 342248. If you feel that you need advice or support the Same Day please contact our Reception Team. Our Reception Team will ask you for a brief summary of the problem or concern. This is to help them direct your call to the most appropriate person.
We also offer pre-bookable appointments for routine check-ups, i.e. Long term condition reviews. Please call after 11.00am to arrange this with our reception team. They can be booked up to six weeks in advance! - PLEASE NOTE THIS SERVICE IS CURRENTLY ONLY AVAILABLE FOR NURSE APPOINTMENTS.
Please note 1 problem per 10 minute appointment. If you should need more time with the GP, please use our pre-bookable service to do so.
Extended Practice Opening Hours
Extended Hours - 07:00-08:00 once a week on Wednesdays.
The service offers routine, pre-bookable appointments with a GP, a nurse, or a phlebotomist.
Additional Hours Appointments
Patients registered with Petworth Surgery can now access GP and nurse appointments until 8pm on some weekdays, and from 10am - 1.30 pm at the weekend.
These appointments are currently being held at Riverbank Medical Centre in Midhurst and at Pulborough Medical Centre. If you would like to book any of these appointments please speak to our reception.
Cancellations & Reminders
Cancel an Appointment
It is important that you inform the reception staff if you are unable to attend your appointment, this will allow us to offer the appointment to another patient. If you fail to notify the Practice that you are unable to attend, you will be sent a letter informing you that you have defaulted from your appointment. Persistent defaulters maybe removed from the list.
You can also complete our appointment cancellation notification request form. This can only be used if your appointment has been arranged for more than 24 hours in advance. (excluding weekends and public holidays). You can also text to cancel your appointment or use the Online facilities.(You need an Online User Account for this).
Text Reminder Service
We have a texting service which allows you to receive confirmation and reminders about your appointments.
To have this service you will need to register by completing a consent form.
Please remember to update your contact details with us when you change address, telephone numbers and email address.
Late For Your Appointment
Please attend your appointment on time, if you are late you may not be seen. If you are not seen you will not be able to rearrange your appointment until the next working day-except in the event of an medical emergency that requires immediate attention.
If you require an interpreter to attend with you when you see your Doctor please notify the receptionist and she will arrange this for you.
Whilst we encourage our patients to come to the surgery where we have the proper equipment and facilities available, we do appreciate that this is not always possible. If you do need a home visit, you can help us by calling reception before 10:00.
You may request a home visit if you are housebound or are too ill to visit the practice. Your GP will visit you at home if they think that your medical condition requires it and will also decide how urgently a visit is needed. Please bear this in mind and be prepared to provide suitable details to enable the doctor to schedule house calls.
You can also be visited at home by a community nurse if you are referred by your GP. You should also be visited at home by a health visitor if you have recently had a baby or if you are newly registered with a GP and have a child under five years.
Doctors' Clinic Days
General Practitioners at Petworth Surgery see patients on the following days of the week:
- Dr Dawn Thompson: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
- Dr John Scahill: Mondays, Tuesdays and Friday
- Dr Christin Polden: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Dr Sue-Ann Knight: Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays - On maternity leave from 17.05.2021 until December 2021 (exact date TBA) The care of Dr Knight's patients will be covered by Dr Simon Pett
- Dr Stephanie Temperton: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
If you need to see a doctor on a day when your usual GP is not seeing patients, please contact our Surgery and our reception staff may be able to offer you an appointment to see one of our other doctors.
In a number of cases it might be worth considering an appointment with a practice nurse rather than a doctor. Practice nurses are qualified to deal with many conditions and you may be seen more quickly.
Our nurse is available Monday to Thursday between 08:30 - 17:00 and appointments can be booked up to six weeks in advance.
The surgery is a training practice for fully qualified doctors with experience of hospital medicine, who wish to become GP's. During their time at the surgery they are known as GP Registrars.
The surgery also contributes to the training of medical students. From time to time students may be present during surgery consultations. If you do not wish them to be present at your consultation please let us know.